Thursday, December 30, 2010

Holographic Reality: The Video Gamer Religion


So last month we are sitting down for coffee at the diner when Cindy passes me a VHS tape. "What no DVD or Blue Ray?" I smirked. She is all up in the "new age" religion movement. I never pass up an opportunity to get insight into another belief system. So I borrowed her bootleg copy of "Synchronicity and the Holographic Universe" and finally got around to watching it this week.

What this sad video does is take little facts of science and wraps them around the thought that everything we see, hear, taste, touch and smell is a lie. What it never answers is how can we be certain that the world we live in is a lie, if our own senses are at fault? Basically the believers in this modern hip neo belief movement use philosophic brain teasers to twist your mind in knots.

For example; Atoms are comprised of mostly empty space and therefore no matter can be called solid thus matter is an illusion.

Father of this movement, David Joseph Bohm (1917 – 1992), was a British quantum physicist who made contributions in the fields of theoretical physics, philosophy and neuro-psychology, and to the Manhattan Project. So the believers are allowed a religion without discarding science. Also I imagine this appeals to the younger crowd who loved "The Matrix" or play video games.

I gave Cindy back the VHS and told her it would not be my first choice for a belief system. While we drank our coffee (which I am certain existed) I explained my apprehension to this line of thinking.



According to many of the people nothing exists but thought. This world is nothing but an illusion, no matter, or substance unless we observe it. My sons play "Grand Theft Auto" so if life is nothing but an illusion maybe there is nothing to lose by playing the game. At this point Cindy assured me that the people who believe this way would never hurt others. Ok, but if there is nothing to our five senses then pain and death is only an another illusion. There would be nothing to hurt if I ran around killing and raping. She said I was twisting it and I agreed, after all the people are twisting facts of science and physics to sell videos and books on this subject.

There is a five part video on YouTube should you want to view the double talk for yourself. I don't go making sport of people who have a "belief system" but these people claim to be founded and proven by science. I do believe in an afterlife and have no solid proof that it exists. This is why it is called faith. Faith is a personal experience and cannot be bottled and sold to you in a book or video.

No comments: