Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Weird Technology



In my lifetime I saw the rise of the microchip. I remember sitting at a campfire seeing the first digital LED watch. It had those red numbers and was the most amazing thing. All the watches were analog, they had hands that glowed in the dark, but this was simply a marvel. The next thing that came along was video games like Invaders, Pac Man, and Asteroids. As a teen I spent too much money in the arcades. Technology changed us, very quickly just in a few short decades, we have become very dependent on our technology. To draw an anology of what I am saying, I was watching the movie Cujo with a friend and he said to me, "What stupid person drives into the middle of nowhere without a cell phone?". I had to pause and explain to the young man that we didn't have access to cell phones back in that era. There was times in my youth I never was bothered by a blackout or disruption of phone service. Today we tend to flip out when the cable goes out or the weather disrupts dish networks. And we really run around like chickens without a head when the power goes out.

Heaven forbid, if any major city was without power for more than 24 hours today. The mass chaos and panic would cause damage on a grand scale. New York had a major "day time black out" but it lasted less than the day. I think the only saving grace was the people with cellphones was passing information from the news to others. But I really don't think any of this is weird.


I was at the store when a guy was walking by and said, "Hello.". Not that I recognized him but not to be rude either, I nodded and returned "Hello." Then he turned his head and indicated he had a Blue Tooth cellphone in his ear. I realize the desire to reduce the size of this technology will lead to the first cell implants in the years to come. Businessmen and teens will flock in to get phones implanted. They will do it so they don't need to remember to take it with them to work or because it is fashionable. Maybe future upgrades would allow people to access the internet via special contacts or other implants.


Eventually the human race would slowly become cyborgs and then AI (artificial intelligence). You say it's the stuff of sci-fi? No, preordained history, someday a doctor/scientist will invent an electronic database that will store human memory and map the brain. Some rich man with a brain tumor will want to live forever. He will become the first AI humanoid and others will follow suit.

No comments: